In a recent reddit thread, a Google Engineer, has decided to have a little bit of fun with the community by giving intentionally bad SEO advice - If you would like some more hilarious bad advice from Google engineers, they have an entire compilation of them.
Google makes it free to sell products in search. They announced it will be free for merchants to list products in the Google shopping tab in search results, they are actually turning Google shopping into an organic play again.
This could be because of Amazon taking more market share and eyeballs from them so they are making a play to dilute their market share by offering up products.
Now is a great time for merchants to take advantage of the free capital Google can get their hands on in order to maintain market dominance. Just don't expect it to be around for very long.
Google launches their first lightening talks videos...and they are pretty damn good
✉️ Sign up to the weekly search newsletter: https://email.typeamedia.net
A free information pack with all this weeks search news, google updates and insider tips to circulate round your team to keep them informed.
🎙️ Our podcast: https://anchor.fm/canonical-chronicle
💻 Our website beautifully tagged up with UTM parameters: https://typeamedia.net/?utm_source=youtube
I’m Ross Tavendale, the managing director of Type A Media, a creative search agency based in London. I make videos about business leadership, web technology, SEO, PPC and how I turned being a Type A personality into a business.
I’d love to hear from you. Tweeting @rtavs on twitter is the quickest way to get a response or you can email me on [email protected]
- So in a recent Reddit thread, a Google engineer has decided that a little bit of fun with the community is gonna go a long way and he started giving intentionally bad SEO advice. That's right, banana enthusiast, John Mueller, on a recent SEO thread said that he recommends using the depreciated HTML marquee tag as well as the blink tag as a top SEO recommendation. Oh how we laughed.
- Oh, beautiful.
- For those that still want to actually experience the marquee tag in action, you can actually just Google marquee tag and Google have got little Easter egg that will show you in action. So if you'd like some more hilarious bad advice from Google engineers, they've actually made an entire compilation of them. But here are some of my personal favourites. Coming in at number one, add authorship markup to your pages. Number two, share things on Google plus And of course the all time number one terrible piece of SEO advice is just make content and you will rank just fine.
- [Narrator] Ho, ho, ho, that's a big tumbleweed.
- Now, to be fair to John, he really does have an excellent sense of humour. In particular he had this to say, there's also which is a great way to add a non-deterministic cloaking, AKA, Schrodinger's Indexing to pages. It drives the web spam team crazy. I mean that is some seriously intellectual SEO joke telling, Well done. So as an SEO, what is a major sign of the apocalypse?
- The end is near. We all gonna die.
- For me it's when Google starts giving things away for free or decides that they have enough money. So when Google announced it's gonna be free for merchants to list products in the Google shopping tab and search results, well I was like,
- Excuse me, a baking powder.
- But yeah they are actually turning Google shopping into an organic play once again. So you can list all of your products free of charge, inside Google shopping. Now I don't know about you but I think this is something pretty big and I can just imagine the intern that was given control of the Google shopping products, sitting around a boardroom table.
- But what I'd really like to do is something extraordinary, something big, something mega, something copious, something capacious, something cajunga.
- But we would be very naive to think that a national corporate that removed their don't be evil, tagline, were actually doing it for the good of humanity. The real reason, they're doing it because of market share or at least the lack of market share. So essentially they're scared of Amazon taking more market share and eyeballs from them. So they're making a play to dilute Amazon's market share by offering up products, free of charge to merchants. Now the Canonical Chronicle managed to get an exclusive comment from Mr. Bezos himself. So we asked if he's going to let Google take his market share and he had this to say.
- I would love for it to be after I'm dead.
- Guess you're supposed to.
- I wouldn't do that if I was you.
- Why it says, press?
- So you press the thing because it says press?
- But what he means when he says don't use buttons is, don't use a button to load content onto a page that isn't already there. So if you've got one of those view more buttons that loads more products onto a site or something like that, that is bad for SEO, but if the button, you click it and takes another page and loads the content, totally fine. He also said do not use click handlers.
♪ Kelly, can you handle this ♪ ♪ Michelle, can you handle this ♪ ♪ Beyonce, can you handle this ♪ ♪ I don't think they can handle this ♪